Longtime Cedar Rapids area Historian Mark Stoffer Hunter will present highlights of the established and ongoing history of the significant developments in manufacturing that molded and shaped the very core of what Cedar Rapids, Iowa has been and continues to be. Mark's presentation will include a look at:
- Early pre-railroad endeavors between 1840-1859 including Cedar River mills and the start of a brewery.
- The railroad's early impact and the beginning of large Cedar Rapids manufacturing industry: Sinclair and Douglas.
- Setting the Cedar Rapids standard: The continuing innovation of new manufacturing in Cedar Rapids 1880-1900.
- Great Expansion and diversity of industry options 1900-1920.
- Technology and keeping a finger on the pulse of national change 1920-1940: Collins and Hall -Manufacturing in Cedar Rapids during World War II.
- Expansion Continues: 1950-1980 Cedar Rapids a continuing world leader in manufacturing
Also you will receive an update on the Smokestack Bridge Project by Steve Sovern
- 1980-2007: Meeting challenges head-on and providing a pattern of resilience.
- 2008 to today: Creative approaches following flood recovery and newer economic challenges.