Protocols for Returning Continuing Education Summer Students
The following protocols encourage Kirkwood’s learning community to consider others as well as themselves and empowers students to take responsibility for their own health and safety amid the challenges of the coronavirus pandemic.
Student protocols for a safe return to campus include:
- Students attending a Kirkwood location should be in good health and should not be experiencing any flu-like symptoms for 72 hours without the use of medicine to reduce fever.
- Any student diagnosed with COVID-19, exhibiting any COVID-19 symptoms, or who has been exposed to someone with COVID-19, must notify the Kirkwood COVID-19 Hotline at 319-784-1650 as well as the Continuing Education staff at 319-398-1022.
- Students are to notify Continuing Education staff at 319-398-1022 within 24 hours of any absence and provide a general rationale for their absence.
- Any student diagnosed with COVID-19, reporting fever or respiratory symptoms, or who have been exposed to someone with COVID-19 within the last 14 days, will be directed to stay home.
- Specialized disinfecting procedures will be implemented to spaces where COVID-19 symptoms have been reported.
- Students must wear a homemade or Kirkwood provided mask that covers the mouth and nose at all times.
- Masks must also be worn in common spaces such as hallways, bathrooms, and other meeting areas.
- Additional PPE, including protective gloves, may be required during certain tasks.
- Social distancing of six feet of separation must be maintained.
- When an instructional occurrence is necessary where social distancing is not possible, additional PPE will be provided.
Additional health and safety protocols during class time involve the following:
- Students are to disinfect by wiping high-touch surfaces, including laboratory tools and equipment. Disinfectant products will be provided.
- Students are encouraged to wash their hands with soap and water frequently and/or use hand sanitizer available in the classroom or laboratory.
- Students should remain in their instructional area.
- Students will be limited to entering and leaving buildings, classrooms, and labs through designated doorways.
- Students are to adhere to internal building directional and safety signage.
It is not to be assumed that all risk from COVID-19 will be eliminated. Rather, these protocols provide the opportunity for the college to continuously monitor and evaluate risk, and to adapt practices to mitigate that risk in light of direction and guidance by the Iowa Department of Public Health (IDPH), Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and other health professionals and experts.
Students in violation of the required protocols will be asked to leave. Campus Security will be notified for any student refusing.