Computer Technology/Computer Certificate Programs
Graphic Design Certificate CCCP-5450
Learn the software every graphic designer needs to know: Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign. Students will prepare digital images, illustrations, and layouts and learn how to address the elements of color, typography, composition, and visual identity. Hands-on projects focus on essential skills and provide experience in professional graphic design project scenarios. Class assignments include photo editing and collage, display advertising, logo design, poster design, form design, magazine covers, promotional design, book design, and more. Graphic artists and designers with a range of technical, drawing, and design skills are valuable members of work teams in a variety of industries. Many artists have also discovered the joys of freelance design and graphic development work. Tuition includes all textbooks. Classes include: Principles of Graphic Design; Illustrator Basics CC; Illustrator Advanced CC; Supervised Lab 1 – Logos; Photoshop Basics CC; Photoshop Advanced CC; InDesign Basics CC; Supervised Lab 2 – Open; InDesign Advanced CC; Supervised Lab 3 – Open; Graphic Design Final Project.
Ready to learn more? Complete our online form or contact a student advisor today at firstname.lastname@example.org or 319-398-5529.
Begins September 28th, Hiawatha
Begins November 1st, Cedar Rapids
Click here to view a full list of upcoming offerings.
Yes. Full tuition assistance is available to support your career goals.*Click here to learn more.
*Some eligibility restrictions may apply.
Industry Credentials Earned:
None. This program does not award any nationally recognized certification upon completion.
Careers: Source: Career Coach 2018, Kirkwood Community College region.
Average hourly earnings: $22.05
Starting hourly earnings: $12.19
Projected job openings (2018-2023): 16
Average hourly earnings: $24.50
Starting hourly earnings: $13.10
Projected job openings (2018 – 2023): 252
Prepress Technicians and Workers
Average hourly earnings: $18.61
Starting hourly earnings: $11.36
Projected job openings (2018 – 2023): 45
Length of Program and CEU Credits:
109 hours, 13.08 CEUs
Program Completion Requirements:
This is a pass/fail certificate. Students will need to complete the final project portfolio components of this class in order to pass the certificate program. Attendance is also a part of the requirement for obtaining the certificate. Students may have one unexcused absence throughout the course. Students are allowed to miss one night of class during the certificate without having to make up the missed session.
• Recognize the difference between print and Web design, basic design principles for the Web, and what makes good and bad Web design.
• Gain an understanding of the Illustrator, InDesign, and Photoshop environments.
• Learn the basics of drawing paths, apply basic color, create simple illustration, work with texts and layers, and learn how to work with fills and colors in Illustrator.
• Learn to manipulate paths, enhance fills and strokes, transform shapes, and apply effects and graphic styles in Illustrator.
• Convert raster images to vector art and master strategies for printing illustrations using Illustrator.
• Create basic documents, work with guides and master pages, learn the basics of typesetting, and modify items using test, graphics, and layers in InDesign.
• Work on finalizing documents, including printing and exporting in InDesign.
• Learn to create efficient layouts, create and modify vector paths, and manage and maximize typography in InDesign.
• Learn advanced uses of graphics and tables, and work with text editing and special characters in InDesign.
• Work with digital images and copyrights, image selections, manipulate and modify layers, and retouch and resize images in Photoshop.
• Adjust images, including modes, hue, and saturation adjustments, and prepare images for Web and print use in Photoshop.
• Work with fills and overlays, apply masks, and create and manipulate vector paths in Photoshop.
• Work with creative image effects and learn to create automatic tasks in Photoshop.
Upon completion of this program students should be able to create professional print and digital pieces to be used in various compositions using Adobe software such as Illustrator, InDesign, and Photoshop.
Other Items to Know About this Course:
All classroom materials are included in the tuition fee and will be provided in class.
Pathway to Credit Program: